Wednesday, April 13, 2005

He's a Geek

I have just finished reading Just A Geek, by Wil Wheaton, and it's absolutely fantastic. I have been an avid reader of Wil's blog for many years now, and I fully advise those not already reading it to go and check it out. Some of you may have heard of Wil from such things as Stand By Me, Star Trek:The Next Generation, or my personal favorite, Toy Soldiers. However, Wil is no longer The Guy Who Used To Be An Actor© he is now a WRITER and proud of it! If you read either is blog, or his book, or both, you'll understand what I'm talking about. I don't really want to write too much about the book itself, because nothing I write could do it justice, I just advise you allllllllll to go out and read it yourselves.

I'm a huge fan of Wil's writing style, as he totally transports you from in front of you computer into 'Wil Wheaton-land'. You're right there with him as he goes through an audition, or plays D+D with his step-kids. Its wonderful. Both Wil's books (he also wrote Dancing Barefoot a few years ago) are excerpts from his blog, padded out with new material to link the stories together.

Now I'm not a writer, and as I sit here are re-read this, I think it sounds horrible, but I just know what to write to make it better, so I'm afraid you'll just have to be stuck with my horrendous grammar and style. But that is what made reading Just A Geek even better. When Wil first started his website, he wasn't happy with his style either, and he can look back and see how much the whole process of gathering thoughts and putting them onto 'paper' has improved. I can only hope that I can look back (if this is still around in years to come) and see if I too have improved.

So, everyone...Go out and buy a copy of JAG, or Dancing Barefoot NOW! Trust me you won't be able to put it down. I couldn't....I read it in 2 days! Go Go Go!

No comments: