Thursday, March 09, 2006

How Rubbish Am I?

I've just had the best weekend! I went to Hemel Hempstead to stay with my friend Beck for a couple of days. We went to a show about/starring(?) Bill Hicks. It was a 1 man show about Bill Hicks coming back from the dead to do one last show. It was incredible. The guy playing Hicks had obviously done a great deal of research, as his mannerisms, his intonation and his stage presence was scarily similar to the man himself! It was so good that at times, I actually forgot I wasn't watching Bill Hicks! Then on the Saturday, we headed into London to have a look around the famous Camden Market. It is such a wonderful place, with such atmosphere, it almost felt like I was holiday! The market has different sections to it, the first part was mostly all clothes - trendy, unusual, funky clothes. So we sauntered and meandered our way around all the stalls, taking in the colours and sights, before heading over to a different section which contained more modern, but still funky and unusual (the only word I can think of right now is...) STUFF. All kinds of things, from jewellery to homemade leather bound notebooks, to candles to crystals..Oh I could go on and on. The colours here were just breathtaking, and I did take a few pictures, but I still have to hook my laptop to the internet so that I can post them. Another thing that amazed me about this part of the market was the smells. Many of the stalls were burning incense sticks, which smelled exactly the same as the Hostel in the Forest in Georgia that I've talked about a few times. The memories came flooding back, which is always a good thing when they're good memories! At this time we made a pit stop for some fabulous Moroccan Chicken. We were stood by the river, holding a bowl full of amazing warming food, which is just what we needed in the freeing cold. It was the only thing keeping the feeling in my fingers! Then finally in Camden we found the final section of the market. This is where all the second hand clothes 'arches' are. I don't know what they were before, but it was a series of tunnels filled with so many varieties of clothes, shoes hats and pretty much anything you can think of. Also, there were furniture shops, more 'stuff' shops. Now, if I had thought the colours were amazing before, this is where they really kicked in. Every arch and shop was a different colour, a different smell, and a different sight to behold. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take many photos of these shops because of copyright laws etc. But luckily for me, I have all the memories!
that day was finished off perfectly with a trip to the Maple Leaf, a Canadian Bar in Covent Garden. They serve Molson and Moosehead Beer in the Maple Leaf - the only bar that we've found to serve them! We used to drink a lot, and I mean A LOT of Molson at College in Keene, and I miss it a lot! So whenever we're in London, we have to make a stop for some Beer! While there we met a Scicilian couple who were in London for a few days. They were so funny, and we spent most of the night chatting to them, and giving them ideas of where to go and what to do with their time. Eventually we rushed to the train station to catch our ride home. It was just so much fun, and I can't wait to do it again.
Then on the Sunday, I left Beck and and went to stay with my sister in Letchworth. However, on the say there, we made a sidetrip to the Asda Walmart nearby. It was almost as good at the American Walmarts, but not quite. It just didn't have the same feel to it. But even so, we spent an hour or so in there perusing the shelves. Then we were bored of shopping (is that possible??!?!?!) so we headed home. The rest of that day was spent quite lazily, we watched Batman Begins, which I had never seen before, and was totally blown away by. I think it's the best of the new Batman movies, and Christian Bale makes a very good superhero. Just as a quick sidenote, I've come to the conclusion that Batman is the best superhero. He does everything all the other heroes do, but without any super powers! Amazing!
Anyway...I have to go now....People to meet, but I shall finish the rest of my weekend soon! I promise it will be soon! ;-)

No comments: