Wednesday, June 07, 2006

He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)





This is one of my favourite poems, and I have just found it again, after years of not really thinking about it! My world at the minute is pretty rubbish...i'm in a job I don't enjoy...having man troubles - but then what girl isn't?!?! - had my cell phone stolen last night - got turned down for a job that really really wanted! But life could be worse for sure, i have my friends, a roof over my head, and as of this afternoon...food in the cupboards! YEY! But i just though i would share this little poem with you all.

Take care
Rach

3 comments:

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

It's great to see you posting more again, Rach, and thank you for alerting me by commenting on my blog. I had been checking your site once in a while, then slacked off when it seemed you had stopped.

I love Yeats, and one of my brothers chose this poem to recite at his wedding. Alas, the marriage did not work -- but he's in another, much better marriage now.

It sounds like you've had your share of ups and downs the past few months. I hope you find a more fulfilling job. In the meantime, you've got a lot going for you.

Internet Street Philosopher said...

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I remember this poem from the Christian Bale/Trace Diggs film Equilbrum. (Think I misspelled it.) I've had folks try to step on my dreams for years, those who were well meaning. But it will work out, just hang in there and trust in God.

Anonymous said...

Weird. I'd just read the line "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" on someone elses blog and thought I should look up the rest of the poem, and there it is on your blog! It is a great poem.

Thanks.
xx